Friday, July 01, 2005

A Few Things . . .

A few things that tickle me . . .
Tree covered mountains behind my school
A nice walk to work
Yummy food cooked by someone else
Someone to wash my laundry (for pay, of course)
My own room in a clean house
A view of rice terraces out my window
Passing carabaos on the way to school
Eating fruits and veggies I’ve never seen before
Remembering how to say something in Kenkane-ay
Smiles with lots of missing teeth

A few things I could live without . . .
Roosters crowing at all hours
Dogs barking at all hours
Flying insects in my room

A few things I miss . . .
Showers (and not rain showers – we get plenty of those!)
Ice
Diet Coke
Brownies
Paper towels
Convenient internet access
Being listened to (by someone who gets me)

Of course I miss my grandson and my kids like crazy – if I ponder all that I’m missing I feel terribly sad. And I miss my soul friends and loved ones – incredibly.

Life here is different. It’s pleasing in many unique ways, but it feels oh so very foreign. Most of the time I feel like I’m living inside someone else’s life – just borrowing it while I try it on for a while. And at the same time I’m distanced from life back home – the combination makes for a very surreal experience. Sometimes exciting. Sometimes boring. Sometimes, just plain lonely.
And still, I feel thankful for it all.

1 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

home equity loans

 

Post a Comment

<< Home