Sunday, June 12, 2005

Hello Kapangan

Okay, so I made it to my site! I arrived in Kapangan last Wednesday, June 8. My supervisor and I took a bus from Solano to Baguio City and her husband and my host brother picked us up there and drove us to Kapangan. It was a long travel day on an unairconditioned bus with no leg room. But, we made it safely, thank God.

On Thursday I stayed at my new host family home and just unpacked and settled in. Friday morning I went to my new school. After singing the national anthem and raising the flag, my principal, Mrs. Aurora Leon, introduced me to the student body and had me say a few words. There are 435 students in the high school and they are all about 4'6 - 5' tall and have black hair and brown skin. It's going to be fun learning all their names!

After the morning assembly, I met all the teachers, including my two counterparts. One is the English teacher and the other is the librarian. They are really nice and I look forward to working with them.

That afternoon, I went to a PTA meeting at the elementary school across the road, because I will probably do volunteer work there as well. The meeting was at 1pm on a Friday and there were 130 parents in attendance! Unbelievable! This community seems to be very supportive of their youth and their schools, so I'm glad for that.

Today is a holiday. Actually, yesterday was Independence Day, so the schools and banks are closed today. I came into Baguio to do some shopping and internet. I will probably get into the city and to internet on the weekends, so look for updates from me about once a week.

I need to go now, because the jeepney leaves for Kapangan at 1pm and I still have to go shopping for rainboots and groceries!

Love to all. Thanks for your emails, letters, and prayers.
:-)

1 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I know that this is a crazy question and that you don't know me. Im a nursing student from UB and Im wondering if you know of a house in Kapangan who is renting out a room for people on duty?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home