Sunday, April 03, 2005

Going to Church

Today a few of the other Volunteers and a few of the Staff went to mass at the local Catholic Church. The Pope died and we thought it would be a respectful gesture and a good cross-cultural experience. It turned out to be an excellent experience. First of all, I had never seen such a beautiful alter in a Catholic Church. Behind the priest, there was a stone wall about 6 feet tall. Above the wall was the open sky with beautiful flowering trees and flowers. In front of that was a 20 foot statue of Mary. Trust me, my description doesn't do it justice. During the service birds were flying in and around the sanctuary and a kitty cat even climbed up the wall! The service was very touching. I feel so thankful to be here and to be supported by so many loved ones.

Right now, my Peace Corps friends are waiting for me to go so I have to cut it short. I will write more the very next time I have the opportunity to get on a computer.

1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger John Millar said...

It all sounds wonderful. I wish I could be there to share the experience with you. I hope to come out and see you soon.

You are always in my thoughts and prayers,

John

 

Post a Comment

<< Home