Saturday, May 14, 2005

Kenkane-ay or Iboloi?

So, I met my supervisor. The first question she asked me was "So, will you be learning Iboloi or Kenkane-ay first?" I said "Uh, Ilokano?" And she said "No, we speak Iboloi and Kenkane-ay - so I think Kenkane-ay will be best for you to learn first."

Oh boy. Here I go. I only thought I was making headway on my language acquisition! Oh well. It will be fine.

About my supervisor:
My supervisor is the principal of the high school where I will be working - Kapangan Central National High School. She is 39 years old and really sharp. She is married to the mayor who is loved by everyone in the community. She is a really pleasant woman and has a good sense of humor. She and her husband took me to their house where I spent the first night. She wanted me to see how they live. They have four children. Their oldest son (age 16) was actually enrolling in college the first day I met her (students graduate HS at age 16 here - they have no middle school). They have a daugher who is 15 and goes to the HS where I will work. They have a nine- year old son in grade six at the elementary and a son who is three years old and seems to be the "commander-in-chief" in their house. They are very family oriented and have a nice house. Yet, their privy and shower are outside. I'm glad that I stayed with them one night because it did give me a feel for their family dynamics and values. My impression was very positive.

About my worksite:
I will be working at Kapangan Central National High School. It is just a walk (about 8 blocks or so) away. The campus is pretty nice compared to many high schools I have seen. They actually have a small library, but none of the books are catalogued or labeled. One of my projects will be to organize the library. My other project is to develop a remedial English program for first year high school students who are struggling in English. The class will meet twice a week after school and will probably begin in August or Septemeber. I am excited about my work projects and look forward to meeting all the teachers. Most of the teachers were gone to seminar this week, so I only met two teachers. They were both women in their 20s who have been teaching at the school for about five years. I really enjoyed both of them. They took me around the municipality and introduced me to many people. Then we went and ate pancit (rice noodles) at the oldest / only restaurant in Kapangan. They told me they felt like they had known me for a long time, even though we had just met the day before. I took that as a very good sign.

About my host family:
I will be living with the sister of my supervisor and her husband. They are both 42 years old and are a really pleasant couple. They have a two-year old daughter, Ann Furnee, who is adopted. They also have a 12-year old boy living with them because his family situation was abusive. This says a lot about the kind of people they are - very loving and compassionate. I feel really blessed to be with them. The house is a two-story house. My room is upstairs with two other bedrooms and a den. There is a full-sized upstairs poarch with a beautiful view. I will enjoy that immensely. My host sister is an identical twin and lives right next door to her twin and her family. They have six-year old adopted daughter. They also have a two-year old son who is not adopted. Families here are extremely close. It's nice. The routine seems to be early to bed and early to rise. The roosters start crowing at 3am, so by 5am pretty much the whole family is up. At least that's how it was this week. We'll see. I got a really good feeling about the family situation and am looking forward to living there. Oh, one more thing - my host brother doesn't speak much English (at all) but he's a jokester and he wants to interact and joke with me - so he's trying to teach me Kenkane-ay and I'm helping with his English - seems like it will work out well.

About Kapangan:
Finally, the place I live . . . what can I say? . . . It's a beautiful mountain community with cool weather. The ride from Baguio City to there is a two-hour (extremely) winding dirt road that washes out during the rainy season. However, the view is exquisite. There are rice terraces, vegetable terraces, bougambilia, palm trees, pine trees, water-buffalo, and a big river that was dry when I was there, but will have water when I return in June because the rainy season is beginning now. The community is so peaceful that the judge (a woman) told me they are getting an accomodation for having the least amount of lawsuits. She said that when people come to her courtroom it is only to settle their cases. She rarely has to try a case. Nice. The people from that region are known to be peace loving people and extremely friendly and warm. That's exactly what I felt from them while I was there. So . . . I'm pumped.

Looking forward to winding things up here in Nueva Vizcaya and moving to Kapangan the second week of June. Enough for now. Love to all. Take care and write when you can!

3 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Blogger Tiffany said...

Your host site sounds wonderful. And I'm so excited to see you will be working with their library--all that time here at the library might pay off :-). It is so nice to see you off living your dream which is to make the world a better place. We need more people like you! Maybe you'll come home speaking 4 or more languages or maybe some variation that includes all of them. Keep smilin'. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well,hello.I was surprised to see a peace corps writing something about a place I've known.I also got excited when I read your comment on Mrs. Aurora Leon.Do I know her?Definitely!She was my chemistry and physics teacher in high school.Before she became head teacher in KNHS of course.Her husband?My history teacher before he became mayor. Let's just say I'd like to give some tips. When folks there see white people they assume you possess extraordinary skills and they really want to please you in any way they can.Just go with the flow.They are really fun to be with.Based on your accounts,it seems, the place wasn't changed
that much. You mentioned about a lone restaurant which isn't contested yet it seems.

You mentioned about their library. Well, that too seems to be unsurprisingly familiar.Reason?No librarian is available and it seems that's still the problem.

I'm just curious,would you be dealing with the school only?I mean no activities outside that area?Sorry, I only got to know a few
peace corps when I was in the Philippines. Three were Japanese and
one whom I barely knew, was an American.

Anyway, if there's something I can do to help you with your kankana-ey(kn-k-na-ey as in e in earth)just email me at bravenk9@go.com

Boy,I just hope there's an easy access to the net near you at the moment. I never had the chance to visit that place since '99 I think.

Well, I guess that's that for the moment. Here's something for you
Naimbag ay agew en sik-a.(Good day to you.)Naimbag(na-im-bug = good)ay(i=article)agew(a-gw=day)en (as in e in earth = to)sik-a(you).

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops by the way, it's pronounced I-Ba (as in bu in bug)-loi. That's supposed to be my mother tongue but we weren't brought up speaking it so can't help much in that area. It's still me.Here's another one.

Kaman (pronounce it with an open mouth -seem)kan(as in Khan - you)mapteng (as
in mop-tng =nice)ay (article)ipugaw(person)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home