Friday, May 06, 2005

Spoons and Forks

I don't think I've mentioned anything about eating utensils yet. Here in the Philippines, the eating utensils of choice are a large spoon and a fork. Knives aren't even offered. The spoon is actually what you put the food in your mouth with. The fork is called "the loader". It's used to pull meat off the bone and to scoop food onto your spoon. I actually enjoy eating this way.

I remember one time in the U.S., I was eating in a restaurant with someone. I was eating a spaghetti dish. Of course, they brought me a spoon and fork because in America we use the spoon as a tool to help spin the spaghetti around our forks so that we can eat it from the fork. Well, I was using the spoon to eat with because I found it more effective. I think I must have embarrassed the person I was with, because they reached over and offered to show me the correct way to use the spoon. I complied and didn't make a big deal about it, even though I felt embarrassed.

When I got here and discovered that Filipinos find spoons more effective for eating, I giggled.

It just goes to show that just because we may not fit in with the status quo where we are - it doesn't mean that we're crazy. It just means that we walk to a different beat. And we may find whole sets of people who walk (or even dance) to that same drumbeat. However, sometimes the drummer may be far, far away . . .

Just feeling a little reflective today. Anyway . . .

Going to get a haircut now and pack for my big trip tomorrow. Headed to Baguio in the morning. Then to Kapangan on Monday to experience my future home for a week. Exciting stuff. Of course I'll let you know how it goes. Take care. Love to all.

1 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting story. That guy must have been a real jerk. I'll bet he felt really bad about doing that later on when he thought about it and was sorry. Hopefully you forgave him; you are very generous that way. I'll bet he’ll never do anything stupid like that again.

Hugs and Kisses

 

Post a Comment

<< Home