Friday, May 06, 2005

Losing Natosha

I'm feeling sad. One of the girls in our group, Natosha, is getting sent home. She broke a rule and is getting the boot. I loved her. She's been a ray of sunshine. In fact, I took more pictures of her than anyone simply because she had the biggest grin and was always up for having her pic snapped. Here's what happened. The host country national (what PC calls Filipinos) who was hired by PC as the driver of the PC vehicle started flirting with her. He's about 35. She's 22. She was flattered. He told her he was separated from his wife. They became involved. Totally against the rules. I had noticed the eye contact between them and had gone to her and told her that I noticed and if she's going to go there, be very careful. She denied anything was going on (but at the same time, she had that big grin on her face).

He told her that he was separated from his wife, but he "forgot" to tell her about his 8 and a half month pregnant girlfriend. Apparently he and Natosha were somewhere making out and the girlfriend showed up and found them. She called PC and turned them in. He was fired and she was sent to Manila. She begged, pleaded, and promised her soul to the higher-ups at headquarters, but they extended no grace. They want us all to know that they are serious about the rules. They wouldn't even let her come back and say goodbye to us or her host family. I talked to her last night. She's in a state of shock. Totally bummed. It's very sad for all of us. She would have been an awesome volunteer. It just sucks.

So, sorry for the somber subject. It's just part of my experience and I wanted to record it here.

On a happier note, I will be leaving for my site visit this Sunday and I'm very excited about that. Two other volunteers and I will leave Solano on Sunday morning around 9:30. We will take a bus to Baguio City which is about eight hours away. We will spend the night in Baguio. Monday morning they will travel to their sites. Then on Monday afternoon I am meeting my work supervisor (the Principal at Kapangan Central National High School) at the bus terminal in Baguio. She has a meeting in Baguio on Monday, so she will accompany me on our two hour jeepney ride to Kapangan. I will stay with my new host family for a week. During the week I will be getting introduced around the community, attending some social functions, exploring the surrounding area, and visit the High School where I will be working and find out more about what they want me to do. I'm really looking forward to the whole experience. So, wish me luck and say a prayer. I'm going to need all the help I can get!

I must close for now. I'll write the next update whenever I can. It may be a week or more, though. There's no internet in Kapangan. I miss you guys and keep you all in my thoughts. Love to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home