Sunday, April 24, 2005

Just a Short Report

Here's a quick update on what I did this weekend. On Saturday I had language class from 8am til noon. Then I had lunch at one of my classmates host home in San Luis. After lunch, I walked back to my host home in Osmena (about 3K). It was really hot (no surprise there). After that, I took a rest under the fan and then walked into town and went to the internet cafe. I checked my email and then went and bought a phone card. Talked to all three of my kids on the phone - which makes me SO Happy! Saturday evening I studied Ilokano and read a book.

Sunday morning I got up and got ready for 6am mass, just to find out that my host sister (Manang Norma) had overslept. She came out of her (airconditioned) room around 7am. We ate breakfast and went to 8am mass. After mass, we went to the open market and bought fruits - oranges, grapes, and mangoes. The mangoes here are to die for! The oranges are small and really sweet. The grapes are red seedless. On Sundays the farmers bring their produce to town, so everything is nice and fresh. In the afternoon, I rested, read some more, and wrote a couple letters. It was a very relaxing weekend. Probably the closest I've come to feeling boredom since I've been here. Nice though.

Today, I'm on lunch break. Just ate at Chow King. Going back to the Baranguay Hall in a few minutes. Our group (the four of us and our language instructor) will be going to the Baranguay Captain's house this afternoon. We're going to interview him for a project we are doing - developing a community history timeline of San Luis. We will be having merienda at his house (the snacks that people eat at 10am and 3pm everyday) Yum. Anyway, this man doesn't speak very much English, so it should be interesting. He's expecting us to question him in Ilokano - yeah, right. Well, we'll do our best, anyway.

Gotta run. Thanks for the comments and emails. Keep in touch - you keep me going! Sige, baybay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home