Monday, April 11, 2005

Living With a Host Family

So, I'm now living with my first host family. I live in Solano, Nueva Vizcaya, Philippines in the barangay of Osmena. I live with a widow who is 58 years old and her son is 28 (but I rarely see him - he stays away). My hostess told me to call her Manong Norma (sister Norma). She is a prominent person in the community and pretty wealthy by Filipino standards. In the house there is a flushing toilet (one of only 20 or so in the community). She also has electricity and screens on the windows. No airconditioning (and boy, is it hot!) but at least I have an electric fan in my room. It's not so bad. The worst part is the heat and missing everyone.

Well, the other PCVs are leaving now, so I have to go, too. I will update more as soon as I can!!
Love to all!!!!!

1 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger John Millar said...

I found Solano on the map and you are in great luck. You are only a few miles from the world famous terraced rice fields that you were hoping to see. They are just north and west of your city on the main road. You are also close to some great snorkeling sites and there are two of the remaining Philippine rain forests only a few (inches on the map?) miles away as well. Not to mention a few mummy sites (one of only four cultures in the world to make mummies) and the odd spectacular waterfall and/or underground river/cave systems. Not a bad location at all, though I understand it would be hard to find a bad place to be in the Philippines. Thinking of you and planning my first visit out to see you.
Love
John

 

Post a Comment

<< Home