Friday, August 26, 2005

Foundation Day Festivities

Monday, August 22nd was Kapangan Central National High School’s fifth year anniversary, so we had a “short program” (in quotes because it lasted from 8:30am until 12:30 pm –counting the mass we had before the program began). Festivals, celebrations, programs, etc. are some of the residuals from the 333 years of Spanish control of the Philippines. They love to celebrate –and celebrate they do! So, here’s the short version of Foundation Day: We had our usual flag raising ceremony at 7:30. After that, we practiced the songs we would all sing together during the mass. Around 8:00 I was taken to the H.E. (home-ec bldg) to meet the priest. There I found him, the baranguay capitan, and some PTCA members drinking coffee and eating sticky rice. I was encouraged to join them, which I did. After coffee and chit chatting, it was time for mass.

There were probably 500 people in attendance. That morning GMA had declared a National Holiday (don’t remember what for) so all govt. entities (including public schools) were closed. So, all the teachers from the elementary school across the street came, along with many other people in the community.

After mass, the program began. First we sang the Benguet Hymn, followed by opening remarks made by one of our teachers. Next, a teacher read the history of the school. After that, the “numbers” began. (Numbers is in quotes because it’s a term that Filipinos are fond of using to describe entertainment). The students performed by grade levels and also different organizations. They sang, danced, and performed skits. The PTCA officers sang three songs and accompanied themselves on the guitar, ukulele, and a home-made, upright, single-string bass (the base of it was a fuel can laid on it’s side –the neck was a piece of wood). The leader of this group was the baranguay capitan because he is also the PTCA president. The faculty all sang a song, too –“Heal the World” (slow ballads and love songs rule in this country!) Interspersed among the numbers were the speakers. Fortunately, I was first so I was able to get my part finished so I could relax. I felt really nervous. But, I did it. I opened my speech with a few lines of Kenkana-ay, and then switched to English. In closing, I switched back to Kenkana-ey to announce that I was going to sing a song, and they loved it. I began singing the song that my host sister had composed (in Kenkana-ey) for me. The guitarist stood up behind me and accompanied me and shockingly, it all went smoothly! The crowd was extremely appreciative. Even though I felt stressed about doing it, I was happy that I did and it all turned out well. The other two speakers were the baranguay capitan and the principal from the elementary school across the street.

After the program was over at 12:30, all the faculty, PTCA, and special guests went to the HE to eat. The menu was: Rice, 3 heads of chicken (what they call live chickens they cook) pancit (rice noodles with a few veggies mixed in) chocolate (don’t let the name fool you, it’s the chicken blood cooked with banana blossoms in it) and last but not least, dog. Although I did not eat any dog, a large platter sat in front of me during the meal, so I was able to get a good look. They take the intestines, wash them with soap, cook and chop the inner organs and mix with blood, and stuff the intestines and then cut them in about 1 inch chunks. YumYUM :-)

After lunch, they all started talking about songs from Oklahoma. The bgy. capt., principal, bgy. officials, and other PTCA members ended up getting their instruments, playing music, singing, and drinking gin (only the men) in the HE all afternoon. Only in the Philippines! I stayed there and sang with them, along with a couple other teachers. They sang some Filipino, Kenkane-ay, and Ilokano songs, but mostly they sang old country music tunes.
I knew many of the words.
It was nice.
It rained like crazy.
The electricity went off.
And it didn’t make a bit of difference.
It was a celebration.
And celebrate we did!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home