Saturday, November 19, 2005

Goodbye Lensan

So the past couple weeks were filled with tears and sorrow, but things are getting better now.

Lensan Leon, my supervisor's 2 year old son, died of brain cancer on November 5, 2005. He would have been 3 on December 22. The wake and rosary and burial and meals were quite an experience. He laid in the living room for 4 days before he was buried. Everything took place at home. He died on the sofa. Was bathed and moved to a bed in the living room. Was embalmed in the living room. Was placed in a little pine coffin on day 3 in the living room. And finally, was buried in a tomb in the back yard.

People were there at the house 24/7, sitting beside him, talking to him, touching him, singing, praying, crying, laughing, eating, drinking, and telling stories. The custom is for the family to feed all the people as long as they are there. They butchered 10 pigs and a cow! I was there most of the time. My supervisor wanted me there and my host sister encouraged me to stay. I'm glad I did. It was an experience I will never forget. What struck me the most, is how they honor their dead and how personal and real death is. It's like right in your face. Even the little children, his playmates, were there, touching him, talking to him, talking about him, trying to make sense of why he wasn't waking up and playing with them.

On the fourth day, they had a mass and a service for him there at home. Lensan's father, the mayor of Kapangan, spoke and cried. Lensan's mother, my supervisor, spoke, cried, and sang a song. And Lester, the oldest brother, also spoke, cried, and performed a song that he composed for and about Lensan. It was the most touching and tearful event I have attended in a long time.

And at the same time it was very respectful and honoring of a precious little boy who died way too young. So, goodbye little Lensan. No more pain. No more suffering. May you rest in peace.

You can see some pictures of Lensan and his funeral at http://aaa.textamerica.com/ .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home